April 3, 2024 National Day

Lolis
Challenge Team

April 3, 2024 National Day

Post by Lolis »

Happy American Circus Day! Have you ever gone to the circus? What’s your favorite act? When you were a child, did you ever dream about traveling with the circus?

American Circus Day is celebrated annually on April 3. This holiday celebrates the anniversary of the first circus performance in the U.S., which took place on April 3, 1793. Organized by British equestrian John Bill Ricketts, the open-air arena packed hundreds of spectators who ate up the performances, including President George Washington himself. Since its 18th century beginning, the circus grew in leaps and bounds, with various showmen bringing in innovations and acts. By the 19th century, American circuses were touring Europe, and Queen Victoria herself was treated to showy performances.

WHY WE LOVE AMERICAN CIRCUS DAY

1. Circuses are fun!
We love circuses because they are so much fun! Circuses provide good entertainment and attractive sights.

2.We celebrate innovation
This holiday is a classic reminder of American innovation and creativity. Though the circus was not originally from the U.S., the country took it to a grander and more successful level, adding innovations and unique styles.

3.We celebrate the brave acts
This holiday is a good way to shine some spotlight on the greatest circus performers of all time. Their brave and daring feats provided live entertainment and joy to millions of Americans for several decades.

5 MOST DARING ACTS OF ALL TIME

1.The ‘Peerless Lady Wing-Shot’
An excellent sharpshooter, Annie Oakley once shot a lit cigarette out of her husband’s mouth and also shot the edge of a playing card from 30 paces away!

2.The queen of aerial gymnasts
Lilian Leitzel was an acrobat who performed acrobatic tricks while hanging from Roman rings suspended 50 feet above the ground — all without a safety net!

3.The amazing tightrope walker
Charles Blondin was a tightrope walker who, on several occasions, balanced on a 1300-foot hemp rope stretched across the American and Canadian sides of Niagara Falls!

4.The World’s greatest bareback horse rider
May Wirth was an equestrian who could perform a forward flip on horseback and could also somersault from one moving horse to another.

5.The great lion tamer
Isaac Van Amburgh would dress up in Roman attire and perform daring acts with lions, tigers, and leopards — even letting them climb his back and shoulders!

Movies:

Water for Elephants,
The Greatest Showman,
Big Fish, Dumbo,
The one and only Ivan.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Re: April 3, 2024 National Day

Post by phillisw »

ah, as a child my mom always took us to the circus. All 5 of us kids. we never went to the County Fair, she thought the Circus was cheaper ;) I always loved it. I took my nieces and nephews and then my own children to the circus many times. They had the Circus at the area schools a few weeks ago. No big animals, but fun amusement
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

I have never been to the Circus. Maybe some day.....
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

As a child, we would go to the circus every time they were in town. I love the Aerial Silks and the Trapeze performances. We were often invited to go into the ring. My sisters and I would play pretend circus games. My act was contortionist :lol: :lol: :lol:
We took the boys to the circus a couple of times, not enough. When they were born we received tickets to the circus, we never cashed them in. I don’t even remember where they are.
Water for Elephants is one of my favorite books.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Daily Chatter”