Gotta share: This is love!

BarbP
Sous Chef

Gotta share: This is love!

Post by BarbP »

My granddaughter Anna, who's 11, has spent much of this year battling some mental health issues, the most physically obvious of which is a disorder called trichotillomania, or the compulsion to pull out her hair.
Trichotillomania is often co-occurring with anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. While pulling out your hair is usually not physically harmful, the emotional effects are huge, especially for an adolescent girl. Cutting off long hair is often a very effective way to manage the compulsion to pull, and helps patchy hair loss look less shocking and grow in more evenly. Today, this smart. beautiful and brave girl shaved her head. It was a huge step she has chosen to make toward prioritizing her mental wellness. And..... her stepfather, who loves his hair more than any man I've ever met, also shaved his head in solidarity. They went to a hair salon, and came home looking like this:

This photo saves "LOVE" loud and clear. Anna is a lucky girl to have her mom and stepdad's support as she works through some scary emotional issues.
Patti
Site Admin

Re: Gotta share: This is love!

Post by Patti »

That is so sweet. I feel like I have watched Anna grow up through the years of pictures and hope she can work through this and come out stronger.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

Love is a beautiful thing!
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

You have some pretty special people in your life! Kudos to a great Dad~
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BarbP
Sous Chef

Post by BarbP »

Thanks, ladies! I knew Kristen would be a warrior for her daughter, but Derek's show of support went above and beyond expectations. We're proud and blessed to have him as part of our family.
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

Awww, what a sweet pic and story - hoping your granddaughter continues to improve
tammyfolk
Owner / Site Admin

Post by tammyfolk »

I can't so relate to some of what Miss Anna is going through with what I've been through with Garrett, and I applaud her and your son in law!! It takes strength and guts, and apparently they both have it! Hugs to her!!
Tammy Folk - Strawberries & Peppermints

Scrapbooking....is there really anything else?

ImageImageImage

Return to “Daily Chatter”