COVID 19 check in

Tamara
Challenge Team

COVID 19 check in

Post by Tamara »

Just thought I’d check in see how everyone’s doing in their states with Covid. We had been doing fairly well. But yesterday at all hit the fan there was 977 cases the highest ever in the whole entire Covid history. Today there was 1117. One high school in the town over from us the principal is in The ICU. 500 students are quarantined and 46 students have Covid. In our state anything over 20 the school Hass to go to online learning. Apparently the parents in the school ( thought for the kids to stay in school. It is a wealthier area. And just makes me thinks that the parents don’t want to have the kids home and would have rather risk them going to school) my son lives in that area with his kids and they are homeschooling right now. We are waiting for the governor to decide if he’s going to do a state wide mask mandate. He has put it off so much which is so ridiculous he is not even running again in this election so he has nothing to lose. He just needs to do it because now we are worse than we ever have been. My husband is so worried about me being at this event that I am on house arrest lock down tomorrow night after I get home and he is quarantining himself from me. Even though we are being super careful. They said it would come back in the fall like the vengeance and boy it sure did. We still only have 437 deaths. But we have two colleges in the county below us that have been ridiculous about wearing masks. My friends granddaughter’s roommate had it and didn’t tell anybody because she was embarrassed so she exposed all of her roommates and still went to work. She worked at an in and out which is one of the busiest ones in the state and 50 of their employees have now tested positive for Covid. My friends granddaughter left college and came home to quarantine And do her classes online.
So crazy scary! Hope you are all staying away from the mess
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
GinniG
Station Chef

Re: COVID 19 check in

Post by GinniG »

All I have to say is that we are SOOOOOO GLAD we don't live in South Florida anymore! We lived at the Broward/Palm Beach county line and it would have been a nightmare for us both. Steve's job took him in and out of people's homes every day and I'm sure he would have lost money because even though people may have wanted their draperies and such installed, they probably wouldn't have wanted him in their homes... We are very grateful to be living here where we're relatively safe!!!

Alaska got a very late start with the virus. We have had 6,658 cases and only 45 deaths. Of those I know of SEVERAL who were already sick with pre-existing fatal conditions and in the hospital or hospice but got the virus and died. So even with such a low number of deaths, that number is skewed.

Our island has had a total of 19 cases and that I know of no deaths. Our island is 100 miles long and 45 miles wide at the widest and we have many communities that are very small. Our community of Hollis only has about 200 residents spread out over about a 5 mile area. Because the ONLY community on our island that has more than 1,000 residents they will not release the names of the communities where the person who tests positive lives. The main city of Craig has only had 8 cases which leaves 11 out in the other areas and no one knows where. Usually the word gets out however I've only heard of 2 other cases that weren't in Craig and one was in our community. We are not required to wear masks everywhere. The only places that actually requires them and won't serve you if you're not wearing one is the 2 grocery stores here and the 2 clinics require them as well. They are recommended everywhere else.

We can eat in restaurants (I haven't yet) indoors and not everyone wears masks everywhere. I have only gone into town alone about 3 times since all this started. Mostly because of my asthma keeping me home. I've had to travel on the ferry to Ketchikan and back twice but was very careful both times. We haven't been to church since Christmas - mostly because I was too sick but after the virus when it opened up I was too afraid to go because so many people work with the public.

Anchorage and Fairbanks are our two largest cities and things were pretty good in our state until the fishing fleets started arriving. Once the process workers and fishing boats started arriving the numbers started shooting up quickly. Then they opened the schools on our island and in Ketchikan the last week of October. My oldest stepson is a junior high teacher. They attended school ONE DAY and a teacher had a positive test and now they're back to virtual learning. On our island once there were a couple of newer cases the schools mandated masks for teachers and students. My BFF is raising her 6 YO granddaughter Excie and Excie can't wear a mask all day. She gets quite upset and can't breathe. So now Sandra is trying to figure out if she should just try to put Excie back in school or try to find another solution for her. Our school only has about 30 TOTAL students of all 12 grades plus preschool and kindergarten so it wouldn't be hard for them to make some sort of special arrangement for kids like Excie. I have to admit that even with a special mask that allows you to breathe better (it has vents) I can only handle it about 1/2 hour before I start having trouble breathing!

Social distancing for me is kind of easy because I've been home so much anyway with being sick and we're so far away from everything that it hasn't made a lot of impact on my life. About the only difference besides wearing the mask and doing the hand sanitizer and wiping the grocery carts for me is that I send Steve to town for groceries quite a bit more than I used to. Unfortunately with him hurt right now I'm going to have to do the town run tomorrow for goose food and a couple of other things. But I'll wear my mask and use the sanitizer and wash my hands well when I get home. :)

Stay safe out there ladies!
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

We are still considered a hot spot. I contribute it to the beaches.....people getting out, going on vacation, schools starting back. We are still under a mask mandate in our local town and surrounding areas but I have seen a few people not wearing a mask. Thankfully, most people are wearing one. I spoke to a friend yesterday that told me a few of my surrounding neighbors have been tested positive for the virus. Two are in the hospital, one is home quarantined and another passed away. :cry:
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
sthom97093
Challenge Team

Post by sthom97093 »

I live in Ohio and my county is one of the Covid hotspots. Because of my Crohn's Disease and meds I take to keep it in remission, I don't go out much. We have a mask mandate throughout the state which has helped (I think). My daughter is at Miami University in a neighboring county to mine, and they are a hot spot too. They are having students do random Covid tests which she was required to do about a week ago. If you have seen the college kid talking to the police about having a party and being Covid positive, that was her university...UNREAL! She stays in her apartment her classes are online. My other daughter is going to high school in person. They went back 9/8, and there are already kids and teachers testing positive. Two girls on her soccer team are in quarantine because of exposure but not sure where...I'm teaching online (which I've talked about on here), and our online numbers are growing each day. I think things might be improving number wise a little bit around here; cautiously optimistic...But with schools reopening, that might change fast.
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

Our numbers in Central Florida are actually going down. Our kids are back in school and have a choice between in class and online but there are a couple of schools that have already closed due to positive tests. Our little community of probably about 2000 residents has had 18 cases that we know of and 1 death. We have a large Eagles club out our back door and a lot of the residents belong (we don't) and it seems like most of the cases are from the Eagles members. In such a small community the names get leaked quickly. One of our residents that tested positive was seen out on our putting green course which really pissed a lot of people off.
Our governor has just given the go ahead to bars opening back up again. It didn't work the 1st time so I don't see it working this time either. Our restaurants are all open for inside dining but we don't go out to eat. We pretty much only go to the grocery store and always wear masks and social distance.
A friend of my brother and sister in law was a pretty healthy man in his early 50's with diabetes. He was a corrections officer and caught covid from the jail. He ended up in the hospital on a ventilator and his kidneys were failing. He recovered and was moved to a rehab center where he is learning to talk and walk again. Right now his kidneys are good but who knows for how long. He also has what they call ICU delirium. It's like his brain is in a fog and his memory is very fuzzy. They gave him his cell phone back and he insists it isn't his. Won't even look at any text messages or answer it when it rings. They're hoping he comes out of it. Right now it looks like he won't be able to ever go back to work.
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

We are holding about the same; people ignore the mask mandate all the time. Our schools decide on Fridays if we they are having school next week and at that only 2 days of in class learning. I still pretty much go to work, church, very little shopping or eating out. Now the time of year my allergies are acting up and a small part of me is like "oh, no"

I think we are Orange but I'm not 100% sure. Of course, with the college that keeps our numbers up and they had a college football game last Saturday. Only at 25% tho.
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

It's sad how it's all happening... :( Like Tracy said, the small communities hear the gossip and find out who the "positive" people are and there can be consequences for them. It's happened here.

I was talking to my 10 year old grandson Garrett today. His birthday was yesterday and I wasn't watching my time and with the 4 hour time difference (they're in North Carolina) I missed it. Anyway, we were talking about how long it's been since he was here and since I've seen them - 2 years and 2 months going on 3 now. :( I said that I really hoped next year we could bring him and his brother back out again. He said "But what if another virus comes and it's worse?" Wow... He gets it! I don't know the answer to that and I don't think anyone else does either. Will our lives ever go back to whatever "normal" was before??? I hope so but I'm not so sure... :( I don't like living in fear but with my health issues I have to be careful. I want to live to be a healthy 101 1/2 like my Grandmother did! :) I still have a lot of years left in me if I can do that! :)
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Our governor has moved the state to the next level, opening to 75% capacity, but not in our area. We are still considered a hot spot. The schools are making the teachers go back to campus where we will continue to teach remotely. Parents will be given the option to send the kids to school or to continue on line. If they go back to school they will continue with online instruction.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

During my Midwest tour where i traveled to VA,OH, IN, MI, IL WI, IA, I'm not so sure the hot spots are as hot as it is reported. Yes, there may be more cases BUT there are also more recoveries. In some states the masks were worn even while swimming in a lake....hello! You're in water. And in some there were no mask mandates and the cases were low. In my little corner of the world in NC masks are mandated but selectively worn.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Wendy
Sous Chef

Post by Wendy »

Our numbers keep going up, more cases and deaths reported everyday. But we are starting to open things up more. Which doesn't make much sense to me. My neighbor owns a restaurant and they were doing fine with distancing customers. They had a tent outside and 30% of the tables inside were being used. Now the weather is getting too cold to be outside, so she's afraid she will have to close her business. Our public schools are 100% remote learning, but catholic and private school are 100% in person. This whole situation is so confusing. I will wear a mask if it's required, but everyone else I know is starting to not wear them anymore. I live in a small town and it's been reported that we have over 400 positive cases. NO ONE knows who these people are. Our Mayor has been trying to figure it out to try and trace it back to maybe an event or something. The reporting agency will not give her any information. And the way people talk in a small town, it's unbelievable that we haven't heard anything. Other friends and co workers have had people test positive for Covid but had no symptoms. I don't know....this whole thing is just starting to get old. I wish there were some REAL facts being reported.

Return to “Daily Chatter”