Any family Veterans?

Tamara
Challenge Team

Any family Veterans?

Post by Tamara »

Do you have any family Veterans?

I love to look at old photos of those who served. I also love to see them in scrapbook pages.
My Dad served in the Korean War
My father in law was on the front lines in World War II
My brother in law served in the Vietnam War and also the war if afghanistan
My nephew served in the Navy
My two other Nephews served in the army
My sister served in the army

We currently don't have anyone serving at this time
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Re: Any family Veterans?

Post by Tracy F »

Dh served in Viet Nam.
2 cousins served in Viet Nam.
My Dad was in flight training during WWII and was discharged before he finished because the war ended. He never considered himself a Veteran but the government did.
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

My grandfather on my Mom's side was a photographer for the Army in WWI and WWII. He helped build the Panama Canal and helped finish building the Washington Monument. He even took a picture of Alexander Graham Bell in his later years!

My grandmother on my Mom's side worked at the War Department in downtown Washington, DC. That's where she and my grandfather met! He heard her voice and looked at his buddy and said "That's the woman I'm going to marry!" They had 8 children together! She lived to be 101 1/2 before she died!

I had several uncles in the military during WWII - two were stationed a Pearl Harbor just before it was attacked!

One of my uncles did 3 Vietnam tours and finally retired. His 2 sons both went into special forces and the last I heard they were still in special forces but were doing such secret jobs that they couldn't really tell anyone where they were.

My Dad served in Adak, Alaska and then in London during the bombing he was an ambulance driver. My Mom had asked my DH at one point to go into the attic and find her something and in looking for that he found my Dad's diary and his pictures in a box that no one knew about. He didn't know we'd found it so for Christmas that year I put together an album for him with his diary notes typed up, a pocket page for the original diary and all the pictures. He cried when I gave it to him and I fight tears every time I talk about it. My brother has it now that our parents have passed.

Happy Veterans Day everyone!
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

Jack served during the Vietnam War.
His dad served in the Korean War and World War II.
His grandfather served in World War I.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Post by Deanna13 »

My Dad was also in the Korean War and several of his brothers were in various wars. There were 11 of them, but sadly they've all passed.
ImageImageImageImage
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

My dad served with the army during WWII and was awarded the purple heart. He was the first to enlist from his county when the US entered the war.
My father-in-law was with the construction corps during WWII.
My cousin was killed in Vietnam as were many friends and classmates.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
sthom97093
Challenge Team

Post by sthom97093 »

Both of my Grandpas were in WWII and were part of the Army Air Corps. I love this story of my Grandpa Bud, my Mom's Dad. We are from a small town in Ohio. He was stationed in England to repair fighter planes. He went into his barrack on his first day there only to discover his high school friend from our small town was his barrack mate. So he went 1/2 way across the world and ended up with a friend of his from high school stationed with him. Proof that it is a small small world I suppose. :)
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

GinniG wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:16 pm My grandfather on my Mom's side was a photographer for the Army in WWI and WWII. He helped build the Panama Canal and helped finish building the Washington Monument. He even took a picture of Alexander Graham Bell in his later years!

My grandmother on my Mom's side worked at the War Department in downtown Washington, DC. That's where she and my grandfather met! He heard her voice and looked at his buddy and said "That's the woman I'm going to marry!" They had 8 children together! She lived to be 101 1/2 before she died!

I had several uncles in the military during WWII - two were stationed a Pearl Harbor just before it was attacked!

One of my uncles did 3 Vietnam tours and finally retired. His 2 sons both went into special forces and the last I heard they were still in special forces but were doing such secret jobs that they couldn't really tell anyone where they were.

My Dad served in Adak, Alaska and then in London during the bombing he was an ambulance driver. My Mom had asked my DH at one point to go into the attic and find her something and in looking for that he found my Dad's diary and his pictures in a box that no one knew about. He didn't know we'd found it so for Christmas that year I put together an album for him with his diary notes typed up, a pocket page for the original diary and all the pictures. He cried when I gave it to him and I fight tears every time I talk about it. My brother has it now that our parents have passed.

What a great legacy and such great stories.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

GinniG wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:16 pm My grandfather on my Mom's side was a photographer for the Army in WWI and WWII. He helped build the Panama Canal and helped finish building the Washington Monument. He even took a picture of Alexander Graham Bell in his later years!

My father in law's brother (Bob) was also a photographer for the Army in World War II. His name was Robert (Bob) Mosier.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

My grandfather was in WW II and was at D-Day. He served in both the Army and the Air Force. When I was younger, I didn’t realize he was on the front lines until I saw the photos and heard his stories.

Return to “Daily Chatter”