National Houseplant Appreciation Day 1-10-23

Patti
Site Admin

National Houseplant Appreciation Day 1-10-23

Post by Patti »

OK, Ladies, have you told your plants how much you appreciate them yet?

NATIONAL HOUSEPLANT APPRECIATION DAY
One of the best ways to enhance a space is by adding house plants. The busy holidays cause many of us to neglect some of our regular routines, including houseplant care. National Houseplant Appreciation Day on January 10th serves as a reminder to give your houseplants a little extra attention to keep them thriving.

#HouseplantAppreciationDay
Those with green thumbs know that having houseplants come with several benefits, some of them are even backed by science.

Houseplant Benefits
Boost productivity – Some studies have shown that indoor plants may improve productivity and performance in the workplace and in school.
Reduce anxiety – Caring for plants provides therapeutic benefits. Similar to outdoor gardening, indoor gardening may help to ease the symptoms of depression, anxiety, and dementia.
Reduce air pollutants – In 1989, NASA published a study that showed plants may improve the air quality for indoor spaces. Since we all know from elementary science that plants consume carbon dioxide and produce oxygen, this study makes sense. The more plants you have the more effective they are at improving air quality. Specific plant species are more effective than others, too. For example, Boston ferns, spider plants, ficus, rubber trees, and bamboo palms clean the air more effectively than other plants.
Improved humidity – Especially in dryer climates and in the winter months, when plants release moisture into the air they improve the humidity in a room. Humidity enhances a home’s comfort level, and we also breathe easier when the humidity in our homes is balanced. Also, plants are prettier than humidifiers.
Houseplants offer much to be appreciated, as you can see. Beyond these benefits, houseplants bring the outdoors inside where it can be enjoyed all year long. They fill our homes with color.

You don’t have to have a green thumb to care for houseplants, either. Start with forgiving plants such as pathos, philodendron, sansevieria, or spider plant. These plants will bounce back if you forget to water them and won’t whine if you accidentally overwater them.

HOW TO OBSERVE HOUSEPLANT APPRECIATION DAY
During National Houseplant Appreciation Day, give your plants some love. Check their soil, make sure their roots are happy, and maybe talk to them. We also suggest:

Adding to your plant collection.
Pruning overgrown plants and offering the cuttings for trade.
Joining a plant group. These groups help plant lovers to troubleshoot plant problems. They also offer plant swaps for cuttings and full-sized plants.
Buying a plant for the first time. Be sure to select plants that are not harmful to pets and children.
Taking a class. You can learn how to care for plants, access resources, and improve your understanding of horticulture.
Sharing photos of your plant collection.
Be sure to join the conversation by using #HouseplantAppreciationDay on social media.

NATIONAL HOUSEPLANT APPRECIATION DAY HISTORY
The Gardening Network founded National Houseplant Appreciation Day in 2012 to help keep houseplants thriving through the winter months. The day also honors all the benefits of growing houseplants.

Houseplant FAQ
Q. Do houseplants require a lot of care?
A. Most houseplants do not require a lot of care. They primarily need water, light, and occasional fertilizer. As they grow, they may require pruning or repotting.

Q. Are succulents easier to grow?
A. Many succulents are easy to grow. Overwatering is usually an issue for succulents. The key is to let the soil dry out between waterings and then give them a good drink of water. The soil shouldn’t always be wet. Light requirements vary but succulents flourish when they are warm and receive consistent light. So place your succulent near a well-lit window or under a lamp that is on at least 6 hours per day.

Q. I have a lot of plants. Is there a good way to organize them?
A. Plant lovers know that organizing plants can be tricky. It’s important to make sure all the plants receive the right amount of light and are easy to access for care. One way to do this is by placing the plants on a tired rack. A baker’s rack is ideally suited to this purpose.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Re: National Houseplant Appreciation Day 1-10-23

Post by Tamara »

I haven't been a real house plant person in a long time because DH doesn't like the bugs they bring in. However he is now totally into an herb garden. He even bought a fan and a light for it and he tends to it. Yesterday we had some sprouting of Thyme. Basil and cilantro are supposed to appear in 7-10 days and the rest are 7-14 days. It' s going to be fun when the herbs grow.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

I have a couple of golden pothos plants that my mom grew from clippings that she cut from her house plant. So far, I've kept them alive.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

I just realized that I haven't had any houseplants since I moved to Florida and not sure why. I always had some when I lived up north. :o
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

We have one that has been with us for 25 years! We bought 2 poinsettia plants in December and Jorge wants to try to keep them alive for next December.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

I usually kill all plants. My hubby has a small kumquat tree and he tends to it. it is outside in the summer and inside during the winter. he used to bring it to school each year in the winter when he was working
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

We have no household plants in our house. DH has some different rose bushes that he tends to outside

Return to “Daily Chatter”