Road trip traveling

Patti
Site Admin

Road trip traveling

Post by Patti »

I am packing and getting ready to head to WI...just me and my dog. DH has a work trip. I really do not want to go but the husband of my friend who passed away asked me if I would so I am. Here's my question now that you have the background. I have no real timeframe to get there and back except for the service.
1. Would you go straight there and back so you can get home asap?
2. Would you take the extra time driving there to go through the Great Smokey National Park and stop and hike a bit?
3. Would you drive the fastest route or would you take side trips to miss all the major cities?
4. Hotels or rest stops?
5. Remember I have a dog
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Re: Road trip traveling

Post by Tracy F »

I don't like traveling by myself but if I had to I would take the most direct route. But I would try to avoid the big cities and I would stay in a hotel if necessary, definitely not a rest stop.
tammyfolk
Owner / Site Admin

Post by tammyfolk »

I don't drive well at night, and don't really like to drive at all if I'm being honest.

I'd take the most direct route avoiding the bigger cities and so forth. Hotels when needed, and rest areas as well . . .(not opposed to either).

I would however, take my time on the way back.
Tammy Folk - Strawberries & Peppermints

Scrapbooking....is there really anything else?

ImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Don’t take the hike…
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

I would find a friend to go with me. I would stay at hotels. we would decide to stop if we wanted to see something.
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

I love the freedom of going myself and stopping where I want and when I want.
I know in our state and some surrounding states they no longer have rest areas. They have certain gas stations off the freeway that are designated as a rest area. However, when you go inside, you feel like you have to buy something just to go use the bathroom they are much safer than in the day where women traveled alone and stopped at rest areas, I would definitely stop and see the sights along the way as long as you stay in a crowded area and don’t put yourself in a compromising situation. You have to be road smart these days. I think you will enjoy yourself more if you stop a little bit along the way and enjoy nature or just the beauty of the USA .
Have fun and be careful. So sorry for your loss.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

This time of year, I would find a sitter for my dog or board it. It's so hot and humid right now, if you had to leave the dog in the car at a rest stop for you to use the bathroom it may get overheated. It only takes about 15 minutes for a dog to get overheated depending on fur and skull.....you would also need to walk it. If you had to stop for gas and go inside to get a treat for yourself, again you would have to leave the dog in a hot car.

On the other hand, if you have no other choice, the dog would make great company and you could stretch yours and his legs at the rest stops and gas stations. You would need to keep the car running with the a/c on when you're not in it with him. I would take the fastest route and go straight there and back. Most hotels these days charge a cleaning fee for dogs, some fess are ridiculous and we also found out some places don't allow them at all. We would have to stay at motels without lobbies and sneak the dogs in when traveling.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

So here is what Sparky and I have done. We left Sunday afternoon and drove through the mountains of NC, TN, VA, and KY. We stopped at a park for a walk in Hazard, KY. Our trip has consisted of back roads and highways that were there before the Interstates. Saw some of the most beautiful scenery ever! We stopped at Buc-ees in Richmond, KY for some food and then continued on to a rest stop for a nap. At 4 am this morning we had a little thunderstorm so we started out early and went to Brown County State Park in IN and hiked around a lake. Sparky took a dip to cool off. I have a cooler full of drinks and a bag of snacks so all gas is pump only and at the parks he goes in with me for potty breaks. At rest stops he lets me run in and go first and then we walk a lot. The rest stop in IL had a huge pond so in addition to the lake he also got a pond today. Right now we are at a Holiday Inn Express so I can take a shower and get some sleep and Sparky is reclining on the bed with me. He has such a hard life. Tomorrow we will hit our first destination where h e will get to see his kids (the grands) and be loved on for a couple of days and then on to the funeral and heading home. We have decided that our trip home is going to be to start at the very beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway in TN and take it all the way home with stops at fun places and hikes along the way. I have wanted to drive the entire length of the the Blue Ridge from TN to VA so this way I will get half of it done and do the next half another day. I live kind of in the middle of it. So that's our big adventure!
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Patti wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:58 pm So here is what Sparky and I have done. We left Sunday afternoon and drove through the mountains of NC, TN, VA, and KY. We stopped at a park for a walk in Hazard, KY. Our trip has consisted of back roads and highways that were there before the Interstates. Saw some of the most beautiful scenery ever! We stopped at Buc-ees in Richmond, KY for some food and then continued on to a rest stop for a nap. At 4 am this morning we had a little thunderstorm so we started out early and went to Brown County State Park in IN and hiked around a lake. Sparky took a dip to cool off. I have a cooler full of drinks and a bag of snacks so all gas is pump only and at the parks he goes in with me for potty breaks. At rest stops he lets me run in and go first and then we walk a lot. The rest stop in IL had a huge pond so in addition to the lake he also got a pond today. Right now we are at a Holiday Inn Express so I can take a shower and get some sleep and Sparky is reclining on the bed with me. He has such a hard life. Tomorrow we will hit our first destination where h e will get to see his kids (the grands) and be loved on for a couple of days and then on to the funeral and heading home. We have decided that our trip home is going to be to start at the very beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway in TN and take it all the way home with stops at fun places and hikes along the way. I have wanted to drive the entire length of the the Blue Ridge from TN to VA so this way I will get half of it done and do the next half another day. I live kind of in the middle of it. So that's our big adventure!
It sounds so great! lad you are enjoying the beautiful scenery and getting lots of hikes in!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

Patti wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:58 pm So here is what Sparky and I have done. We left Sunday afternoon and drove through the mountains of NC, TN, VA, and KY. We stopped at a park for a walk in Hazard, KY. Our trip has consisted of back roads and highways that were there before the Interstates. Saw some of the most beautiful scenery ever! We stopped at Buc-ees in Richmond, KY for some food and then continued on to a rest stop for a nap. At 4 am this morning we had a little thunderstorm so we started out early and went to Brown County State Park in IN and hiked around a lake. Sparky took a dip to cool off. I have a cooler full of drinks and a bag of snacks so all gas is pump only and at the parks he goes in with me for potty breaks. At rest stops he lets me run in and go first and then we walk a lot. The rest stop in IL had a huge pond so in addition to the lake he also got a pond today. Right now we are at a Holiday Inn Express so I can take a shower and get some sleep and Sparky is reclining on the bed with me. He has such a hard life. Tomorrow we will hit our first destination where h e will get to see his kids (the grands) and be loved on for a couple of days and then on to the funeral and heading home. We have decided that our trip home is going to be to start at the very beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway in TN and take it all the way home with stops at fun places and hikes along the way. I have wanted to drive the entire length of the the Blue Ridge from TN to VA so this way I will get half of it done and do the next half another day. I live kind of in the middle of it. So that's our big adventure!
ah sounds like a good trip so far, Patti!
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Daily Chatter”