December 13, 2020

Join us for some fun times as we countdown to Christmas featuring daily posts with holiday tips, fun activities and other surprises!
Patti
Site Admin

December 13, 2020

Post by Patti »

Good morning! Ooops! Good afternoon! We went to church and as we were leaving I saw a woman I had met in the freezer aisle of Walmart back in March. So we ended up going to breakfast with her and her husband.

Do you have Christmas traditions...not the typical like stockings or dinner but something that's just something your family does? For example, we push the furniture out of the way and have indoor snowball fights and everyone has to wear the Christmas socks they got in their stockings.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Re: December 13, 2020

Post by Tamara »

I was just going to post a similar question. We are just a family with tradition things but when we first moved to our home ten years ago there was a town ice rink less than two miles from our house. We would rent skates for everyone on Christmas Eve and then we all went ice skating after Christmas Breakfast. We had the whole rink o ourselves. We were disappointed one year on Christmas eve it was real snowy and the ice shack to rent skates never opened for us to get skates. The worker must not have been able to get there in the storm. Then it kind of fizzled and the city closed down the rink. No they have turned it into a park. DS told me he wanted to go ice skating this year so I told him I would start making the rink in our back yard. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

Patti, how fun that you bumped into your new friend! :)
Tamara, I hope you enjoy your homemade ice skating rink! LOLOL! Too bad they closed it.

When I was growing up we had quite a few aunts and uncles who lived near us. Plus my Grandmother whose birthday was the 26th. So we'd get together at Thanksgiving and we'd draw names. There were so many of us this made it affordable for everyone. Adults swapped with adults and kids swapped with kids. And each family would contribute something towards Grandmom's birthday gift. Then we'd meet again on Christmas Eve. After dinner we'd all gather in the largest room and we'd all open the gifts from the ones that had drawn our names. When we were finished someone would present Grandmom with her birthday present. It was always so much fun to have such a big family gathering.

But when I was in 7th grade my Grandfather died. He'd been in a nursing home for many years and that's why he wasn't at the parties. Unfortunately the day of the funeral the two oldest sisters got into a physical fight and it was really bad. Nothing was ever the same again. So when I had my daughter I decided to continue the tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve. I continued that tradition until she grew up and moved out. Whenever I'm around the kids or grandkids on Christmas Eve I always make sure I have one gift for them to open. :)
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Wendy
Sous Chef

Post by Wendy »

We all wear our Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve - the whole family. It's funny watching my family walk up to the door in their pajamas and slippers..lol.
We always play Christmas Bingo for gift cards.
After dinner, we pile into the car and drive around to a few houses that have incredible light displays.
then it's back to the house where we "end" Christmas because it's time to celebrate my Mom's birthday, which is Christmas Day. We have a birthday cake a few decorations and everything must be wrapped in birthday paper - no cheating with Christmas wrap.
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Post by Deanna13 »

Sounds like lots of fun, everyone!! Mine may not be as exciting, but it's our traditions. LOL

Since all the kids are grown and have their own families. We have our get together on the day after Christmas so they can enjoy a peaceful day with their own family without having to travel. So on Christmas day here DH and I have sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast, something we don't usually have during the year. With our Christmas get together we draw names to see who gets to pass out gifts to whom and then they take turns opening from the youngest to the oldest. Also with their stockings, DH writes and hides clues for them to find them throughout the house.
ImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

We don't really have any traditions going on now other than our Christmas Day breakfast. It's a ham, egg, and cheese casserole and sweet biscuits.
Growing up we were allowed to open one small gift on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning we woke up to our filled stockings sitting on the end of our beds....I'm sure it was just to keep us busy so our parents could sleep a little longer.
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

We have a picnic by the Christmas tree.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Countdown to Christmas”