December16,2020

Join us for some fun times as we countdown to Christmas featuring daily posts with holiday tips, fun activities and other surprises!
Patti
Site Admin

December16,2020

Post by Patti »

Do you have a Christmas memory that has stayed with you over the years---one that stands out and makes you feel nostalgic every time Christmas rolls around?
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Wendy
Sous Chef

Re: December16,2020

Post by Wendy »

I think my favorite Christmas memories were of my parents playing with all our gifts...lol. We all had battery operated games and electronics on our list. My parents used to open the boxes to put the batteries in before they wrapped them. Of course, they had to try them out...lol. Many times we were woken up by pinball machines dinging or arcade games making noises. It happened every year...lol.
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

I remember the year we got a puppy for Christmas
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

One of my favorite memories was the Corduroy Christmas socks that our aunt made for us. They were all lined up identical across the fireplace. at the time there were eight or nine kids so they spread across the whole fireplace. I still have the sock on my display in my entryway. I'll try to post a pic!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

My favorite memory is setting up our silver Christmas tree with my father every year. Both of us sitting on the floor arguing about which branch went where....the color coded ends had all faded so we just had to guess. Mom sat back and watched and passed out cookies to us. After my brother was born, Dad and I would set up a train set together under the tree. Then many years later, when I was probably 15 or 16, my brother was getting a farm set from Santa and I decided it would be fun to set it up. Next thing I knew my dad was down on the floor with me and we ended up playing with it and sure enough, Mom brought out some cookies for us. I think of those times every year when I put up our tree.
Ural
Station Chef

Post by Ural »

There are many Christmases I remember and they hold memories of those who have gone on to celebrate the birth of Christ in Heaven. but one I really remember was my first Christmas after I got married. Bill was in the Air Force and we were Living in Biloxi, MS. We had been married less than a month and were on a tight budget, but we managed to get a little tree and a few ornaments. There were a few packages under the tree and on Christmas morning we sat down to open our gifts to each other. I had gotten Bill a nice fountain pen (he kept borrowing mine and ruining the point) and a pocket knife. When I opened my first one it contained a pair of shoes--okay I needed shoes--but these were silver lame' dancing shoes--I don't dance. Then I opened the second one and it was something else I needed--a dishpan. Yes that is one Christmas I will long remember.
ImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Our first Christmas in our home! Having the Posadas Celebrations.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

Lolis wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:45 pm Our first Christmas in our home! Having the Posadas Celebrations.
Please explain the Posadas Celebrations.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Las Posadas is a Catholic Mexican/Hispanic tradition and celebration. It's a party where there is a reenactment of the pilgrimage of Mary and Joseph. The parties start on the 16th of December and members of the community get together every day in a different house. We go ask for posada, which is a room for shelter.
The Bible story of Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem and their search for a place to stay is re-enacted. The tradition also involves a special song, Christmas carols, breaking piñatas, and celebration.
The celebration begins with a procession in which the participants hold candles and sing Christmas carols.
Everyone brings food to share to accompany the tamales provided by the hosting family.
My parents celebrated them when I was a little girl thanks to my grandma, who taught us the traditions. We celebrated with our children so they would learn what this beautiful tradition was about. Yes, I know how to make the tamales for the party!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

Lolis wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:50 am Las Posadas is a Catholic Mexican/Hispanic tradition and celebration. It's a party where there is a reenactment of the pilgrimage of Mary and Joseph. The parties start on the 16th of December and members of the community get together every day in a different house. We go ask for posada, which is a room for shelter.
The Bible story of Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem and their search for a place to stay is re-enacted. The tradition also involves a special song, Christmas carols, breaking piñatas, and celebration.
The celebration begins with a procession in which the participants hold candles and sing Christmas carols.
Everyone brings food to share to accompany the tamales provided by the hosting family.
My parents celebrated them when I was a little girl thanks to my grandma, who taught us the traditions. We celebrated with our children so they would learn what this beautiful tradition was about. Yes, I know how to make the tamales for the party!
What a sweet tradition to celebrate the birth of Jesus! I love it! And my hubby's favorite Mexican food is tamales! :)
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles

Return to “Countdown to Christmas”