RQOTD 6.27.20

Tamara
Challenge Team

RQOTD 6.27.20

Post by Tamara »

Have you ever really felt the need that you wanted to do something But you thought it would cost too much. But you still really really really wanted to do it and then it all worked out?

Funny question I know! My dad turned 91 today 2 days ago I saw on Facebook that my friends had hired this mini pony party for her dad's birthday. I immediately wanted to do it for my dad. I have several siblings So the cost could be minimized if everyone participated. I offered to pay $100 if I could get a few of them to pay $25 to cover the cost. Well at first a couple of them brushed it off. A couple didn't even bother to answer me and then one told me they couldn't afford it which I totally understand, then my brother stepped up and said he would help and one of my sisters So I booked it. one sister that makes more money than anyone else in the family told me it was too expensive. I wish I would have been smart enough to say $25 is too much for you? But then today it all fell into place. You see we have a family camp out every year since there are 10 siblings we only have to plan at every 10 years. This year was my turn so we booked a pavilion at a popular park. Covid19 cases have spiked ridiculously high every single day. My husband kept telling me that I needed to cancel it. I told him I was waiting till July 1st. Then today I got a phone call from Parks and recreation on that because Salt Lake county is now mandatory to wear a mask and only small gatherings of people. Well I already have 30 that had RSVP'd and there's a chance we could have up to 45 or 50. So I canceled the park. ordinarily you don't get your deposit back but because of covid 19 they are refunding our money. So I quickly sent out an email canceling the family reunion and telling the family that our family get together would be tonight at my dad's with the pony. We bought the cake, we bought the balloons and we paid for the pony and now my turn is done for 10 years. It was so much fun but hardly any little kids came including my own grandkids of course dang it!
Sorry my answer is so long but now I have plenty of very cute pictures to scrapbook.
Happy Saturday!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Wendy
Sous Chef

Re: RQOTD 6.27.20

Post by Wendy »

I always stress about spending money. Especially on really big things. My hubby doesn't worry at all. His response is always - we'll be okay, it will work out.
Last year, an opportunity came up for my son to play in a tournament in Cooperstown New, York. My husband wanted to coach and of course, my daughter and I wanted to go on the road trip. I got all the information on the costs and almost keeled over. Wow...playing baseball is expensive! My husband also added a trip to Niagara Falls and Cedar Point to make the kids (and me ) happy. So now the expenses were ridiculous. We were under the gun with the deadline to sign up. All of my son's friends were signed up and I really didn't want him to lose out on this opportunity. I guess I should have prefaced this with, at the time, my hubby had just went back to work after losing his job 6 months prior. Our financial situation was not in good standing. But yet, here he was pushing to go to this tournament.
After trusting his judgment, we signed up, and started fundraising with the team. We managed to raise ALL of the money needed for the tournament!
In the meantime, I found some great deals on the rest of the trip and was saving and cutting corners like crazy.
In the end, everything worked out, we had a great trip and I have lots of great pictures.

Now he is pushing for a trip for him and the kids to go on an exclusive hiking trip with the scouts next year....and we are already planning a trip to Disney. So again, my stress level on finances is insanely high.

I'm glad your event worked out. It's crazy how we worry and worry and somehow it all works out.
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

This brings back memories of our wedding and honeymoon. Since it was a 2nd marriage for both of us we didn't want a big wedding so we decided to have a great honeymoon instead. We decided to get married in Hawaii and spend almost 3 weeks there. We weren't worried about money at first but then I got laid off. I had worked for the airlines so we were going to be able to fly for free from Boston to Hawaii but now we had to buy tickets. We had also booked a week at a very expensive resort with a hale (grass covered hut) on the beach. I finally got a part time job at Michaels and I saved every penny and volunteered for extra shifts. Dh worked as much overtime as he could. It ended up working out perfectly and we had the trip of a lifetime.

It's good to hear that things usually do end up working out!
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Wendy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:29 am I always stress about spending money. Especially on really big things. My hubby doesn't worry at all. His response is always - we'll be okay, it will work out.
Last year, an opportunity came up for my son to play in a tournament in Cooperstown New, York. My husband wanted to coach and of course, my daughter and I wanted to go on the road trip. I got all the information on the costs and almost keeled over. Wow...playing baseball is expensive! My husband also added a trip to Niagara Falls and Cedar Point to make the kids (and me ) happy. So now the expenses were ridiculous. We were under the gun with the deadline to sign up. All of my son's friends were signed up and I really didn't want him to lose out on this opportunity. I guess I should have prefaced this with, at the time, my hubby had just went back to work after losing his job 6 months prior. Our financial situation was not in good standing. But yet, here he was pushing to go to this tournament.
After trusting his judgment, we signed up, and started fundraising with the team. We managed to raise ALL of the money needed for the tournament!
In the meantime, I found some great deals on the rest of the trip and was saving and cutting corners like crazy.
In the end, everything worked out, we had a great trip and I have lots of great pictures.

Now he is pushing for a trip for him and the kids to go on an exclusive hiking trip with the scouts next year....and we are already planning a trip to Disney. So again, my stress level on finances is insanely high.

I'm glad your event worked out. It's crazy how we worry and worry and somehow it all works out.
Wow! That sounds amazing!!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Tracy F wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:37 am This brings back memories of our wedding and honeymoon. Since it was a 2nd marriage for both of us we didn't want a big wedding so we decided to have a great honeymoon instead. We decided to get married in Hawaii and spend almost 3 weeks there. We weren't worried about money at first but then I got laid off. I had worked for the airlines so we were going to be able to fly for free from Boston to Hawaii but now we had to buy tickets. We had also booked a week at a very expensive resort with a hale (grass covered hut) on the beach. I finally got a part time job at Michaels and I saved every penny and volunteered for extra shifts. Dh worked as much overtime as he could. It ended up working out perfectly and we had the trip of a lifetime.

It's good to hear that things usually do end up working out!
So happy it worked out for you!! You must have had good self control! Michaels would be a hard place to work if you are saving money. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

My DH and I went to Florida in 2014 for two weeks and stayed at Disney World on property. It was super expensive but worth every penny and we had an amazing time
Krystle
Sous Chef

Post by Krystle »

I'm glad it worked out for you!
scrlvr78
Prep Cook

Post by scrlvr78 »

Not that I can think of....

Glad everything worked out for you all!
--Danielle--