RQOTD September 1 2020

Kiki Halbert
Prep Cook

RQOTD September 1 2020

Post by Kiki Halbert »

Welcome to September ladies!!! Here's the first question of the day for September: What was your worst holiday?

Mine was a trip to PEI and Cape Breton. We were really looking forward to our last camping spot in Cape Breton, which was actually a little cabin built like a lighthouse. Cute right? Nope. It rained all day the first day, and the second, and finally we decided to just check out early and drive home. But we did see a moose in the rain on the way home but the Cape Breton Trail was anything but picturesque in the downpour.
Tamara
Challenge Team

Re: RQOTD September 1 2020

Post by Tamara »

It sounds like your interpretation of a holiday is a vacation so I will go with when we went camping as a family in my youth, the wind blew all night long and it was miserable, cold and no one could sleep. Eventually the wind blew the tent over so we packed up in the middle of the night and drove home.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LisanTexas
Prep Cook

Post by LisanTexas »

Luckily I have only had a great vacations/holidays but once when we went to Philadelphia we were on a ghost tour at night and a sudden downpour came and we got DRENCHED, in fact I almost lost my pants as they were so soaking wet they kept falling down as I walked and I had to keep pulling them up!! I then got to shivering from the cold so much I didn't enjoy the $35 tour we were on at all and it was one of the things I was looking forward to the most! Luckily things only got better from there and the whole trip wasn't a "wash" :lol:
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

My parents had a pop up half tent half metal frame trailer that we used to go on our vacations and trips. One time we drove down to Cape Hatteras in North Carolina and we were looking forward to going to Kitty Hawk where the Wright Brothers had their flight. We arrived in the early evening and as we set up the trailer the mosquitoes just descended on us like a fog! My poor youngest brother had an allergic reaction to all the bites and within about an hour he was covered with welts! We stayed one night and packed everything up. We did manage to go to the museum but that was it... After that trip my parents got a zip on screened room to go with the trailer so that wouldn't happen again!

If you're talking about an actual holiday, my ex and I were in the process of splitting up. It was Christmas and our daughter was then 2. We had agreed to give each other something simple (we were still trying but not as much)... I had 2 presents under the tree. I opened one and it was a brand new hair dryer. My ex looked at me and said "That's mine. You get the one we've been using." Oooooooohhh kaaaaayyyyy... Then I opened the next one. It was an IOU for a set of cheap dishes that he hadn't had the time to go out and get for me. You talk about a bad holiday?! That was the end. Took me a few months to actually get out but I did it. :) NEVER forgotten that morning at all.

The wonderful thing is that after 6 years as a single parent I met Steve and we just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary! :)
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Post by Deanna13 »

One of worst vacations was a cruise out of San Diego down the Mexican Riviera many years ago. Just a couple days in DH had a kidney stone. Alittle afraid of what kind of Drs. they had on cruise ships because we never needed one. But, the Drs. and Nurses were very knowledgeable about it and took very good care of him. He spent 1 entire day in their little patient room hooked up to an IV and another day or so very sick in our cabin. We missed one port entirely and another he didn't want to stay in the room again, so he slept it away at the beach.
ImageImageImageImage
Wendy
Sous Chef

Post by Wendy »

Our worst holiday / trip was a group trip to Disney. We went with a good friend of ours and his son. He insisted that we didn't care what I had planned (fastpasses, dinner reservations, daily itineraries...). He left it all up to me. I planned out everything...and he complained about everything the entire trip. It turns out he had a serious medical issue that he did not disclose to us. So he was in pain and miserable most of the trip. Of course, this info didn't come out until the last day of the trip when he decided to apologize. He had picked a fight with a total stranger and was almost ejected from the park.
I vowed NEVER to take a trip with another group again. It's really not worth the time, money and effort. You just can't please everyone.
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

My worst vacation was a camping trip with my ex. We had just bought our 1st house so money was tight and we decided to go camping. The 1st night went pretty smooth but the second night was horrible. It poured like crazy, so hard it actually came through the tent and we got soaked. The next morning I went to the showers and it was utter chaos in there, showers overflowing, toilets backed up and about a thousand people trying to get cleaned up. I went back to our tent site and said "That's it! Take me to a hotel, I don't care what it costs!" We spent 1 night in a hotel and then headed home. That was the first and last time we ever went camping.
sthom97093
Challenge Team

Post by sthom97093 »

My worst trip...maybe my most difficult trip? Went to Outer Banks, North Carolina with my in-laws, husband, and daughters. My oldest daughter, when she was younger, would get overstimulated and have melt downs. My MIL didn't really understand it. My husband would get stressed b/c it embarrassed him. And I had just gotten bit by a dog prior to leaving, and developed a nasty infection. So my husband, in-laws go out to dinner leaving me at home w/ a melting down 10 year old having left all the windows open in the house we were staying in and lights on prior to leaving for dinner. Every insect in North Carolina came to our ceiling in the house. My husband had a meltdown on me on the phone, my daughter was melting because of the bugs, I'm melting because I'm in pain and overwhelmed by bugs, upset children, and crabby husbands....In summary, I needed a vacation from my vacation after that trip. The stress levels were just way too high to totally relax. But we did see some cool things. We were there in October so watched migrating dolphins. Went to some amazing lighthouses. Lots of smiling pictures taken, but def didn't tell the whole story.
Last edited by sthom97093 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
chillycharlie20
In the Kitchen

Post by chillycharlie20 »

I honestly can't say that I have had a bad vacation, either that or I have blocked it from my memory! Our last trip to Mexico wasn't the best because hubby was in pain as he was waiting for his hip replacement but my only complaint was that he couldn't walk as much as we usually do while down there. We spent way more time lounging by the pool and on the deck than I like but, heck, we were in warm weather instead of -30 degree winter weather so I really can't complain.
Cheryl
The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is attitude.

Return to “Question of the Day”