Virtual retreats/crops vs. real life retreats/crops

Kiki Halbert
Prep Cook

Virtual retreats/crops vs. real life retreats/crops

Post by Kiki Halbert »

Fall is just around the corner, and with it peak crop and retreats for scrapbooking. Here in British Columbia we are open again, but with restrictions of numbers of people gathered in a common area and I know many are still trying to keep their social interactions few to keep themselves safe. But I miss scrapbooking with groups of people. I noticed many have started doing virtual retreats by Facebook or Zoom. Have any of you gone to them? How do you find it works out for you? What do you use for watching the activities, smart phone or iPad? Does it keep you motivated being at an all day virtual crop? Asking for a friend....LOL
Patti
Site Admin

Re: Virtual retreats/crops vs. real life retreats/crops

Post by Patti »

I signed up for a virtual crop and did nothing. Perhaps if it was one where the materials were sent to me for the classes it would have been different but for me it ended up being a weekend of challenges similar to what we have here and I decided that I would rather do the ones here when my scrap time became limited. I get more done scrapping by myself than I do in a room full of people unless it is a class. I use my computer or laptop.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Kiki Halbert
Prep Cook

Post by Kiki Halbert »

Oh that's interesting Patti. I feel the same way, that unless people are following instructions for a workshop or something it would be pretty boring.
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

I have done four virtual crops so far and I have two more this month. All the supplies are mailed t us with extra goodies, prizes and treats! They are wonderful! I love to do it in my own home so I don't have to haul all my supplies anywhere. I do the zoom o the computer because it has a bigger screen and it is easier to follow along. The retreat at the end of the month does facebook live just for those in attendance. That works out as well.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
sthom97093
Challenge Team

Post by sthom97093 »

I am not good at crops. I tend to get distracted, forget stuff...Once I forgot all my pictures. Thankfully the crop was right up the road from my house. I'm much better on my own. I do like getting together with some of my school friends and doing a page/chatting. But I don't ever expect to get more than 1 thing done at the crop if that.
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

I have doen no virtual scrap retreats. I do love the in person retreats when I can see what other do and chat a little with them (or maybe a lot ;) )
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

I haven't done a virtual crops. In person crops are fun but I don't get much done due to all the chatting.
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

I have done both. In fact I used to host some crops in Florida. I am really glad for the online/virtual crops because of where I live now. I use my laptop because the screen is bigger. I have only done Zoom for scrapbooking once or twice and haven't managed to make another one yet. I like the online crops where you don't have to have the challenges done by the end of the weekend. I just did Victoria Marie's fall crop and we have till September 29th to finish the projects. That's good because my printer ran out of ink and I was right in the middle of a layout.

I've done several with Scrapbook Generation and I LOVE their challenges. Victoria Marie's challenges for fall were unique and usually the ones for SG are too. It would be nice if there were kits that came with the crops but that doesn't happen much. I do have one ready and waiting for an upcoming SG online crop.

I guess the thing is not to let the deadlines pressure you. If you enjoy chatting with others, these two that I've mentioned have lots of chats going on. If you don't you don't have to chat at all on the online crops.

The in person crops are fun because you can feed off the mojo around you. I usually go around and look at everyone else's work a couple of times during the day to see what they're doing and to stretch my legs. In Florida my friend and I went at least once a month when there was a LSS near both of us. Sometimes we went twice a month! LOTS of fun! We would chat with each other and sometimes not at all. It was nice because anything we might need was right there. I'd usually have to watch my budget if I planned on buying my supplies all at the stores! :)

As with everything, there are pros and cons. I kind of like the virtual ones because I can work at my own pace and chat when I feel like it. Best of both worlds I think. :)
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles

Return to “Daily Scrapbooking Chatter”