Mixed Media - Distress Products & More

scrappy.boymama
Challenge Team

Mixed Media - Distress Products & More

Post by scrappy.boymama »

Ok, with the new color release, it’s reminded me I really don’t know enough about the different products. I have distress inks and distress sprays - what is the difference between these and oxides? I do a lot of stenciling - is one better than the other for this?

Also, what’s everyone’s favorite product for stenciling besides ink? I’m wanting to try something new with mixed media!
- Brandi :)

Follow me on Instagram! @scrappy.boymama

ImageImageImageImage
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Re: Mixed Media - Distress Products & More

Post by Jan Mosier »

I’m fairly new to mixed media also. I have used both distress inks and oxides for stenciling, but oxides seem to blend better in my opinion. I also like to use art crayons by VB with my stencils as well as modeling paste.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

I love mixed media and love getting dirty and messy.
I like the oxides better. Like Jan said they blend better and they're great for stamping also. I usually use oxides with my stencils and always use the blender brushes...they're so much better than the daubers. I also use texture paste with my stencils.
scrappy.boymama
Challenge Team

Post by scrappy.boymama »

Tracy F wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:47 pm I love mixed media and love getting dirty and messy.
I like the oxides better. Like Jan said they blend better and they're great for stamping also. I usually use oxides with my stencils and always use the blender brushes...they're so much better than the daubers. I also use texture paste with my stencils.
I need to try the blender brushes! I don’t have any of those & looking quick online I think I’d love them!!!

I do have one Oxide in my stash - maybe I need to play with them together to see which I prefer. I have the mini inks mostly, started small but I think it’s time to expand!
- Brandi :)

Follow me on Instagram! @scrappy.boymama

ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

I do like my ink spots and sprays. I use them alone , with my stamps and stencils. I have not tried the oxides. I also use modeling paste with my stencils
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

Jan Mosier wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:16 pm I’m fairly new to mixed media also. I have used both distress inks and oxides for stenciling, but oxides seem to blend better in my opinion. I also like to use art crayons by VB with my stencils as well as modeling paste.
How do you use the crayons with your stencils?
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

sdwhru wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:25 pm
Jan Mosier wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:16 pm I’m fairly new to mixed media also. I have used both distress inks and oxides for stenciling, but oxides seem to blend better in my opinion. I also like to use art crayons by VB with my stencils as well as modeling paste.
Scribble the crayon on a piece of acetate, craft mat or glass, spritz some water on it and pick it up with your blending or stenciling brush.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

Jan Mosier wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:22 am
sdwhru wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:25 pm
Scribble the crayon on a piece of acetate, craft mat or glass, spritz some water on it and pick it up with your blending or stenciling brush.

I will have to try this out!

Return to “Daily Scrapbooking Chatter”