SQOTD August 4, 2020

Kiki Halbert
Prep Cook

SQOTD August 4, 2020

Post by Kiki Halbert »

Have you ever made a scrapbook layout or album for someone else using their photos? What did you find most difficult about using their photos? I'd love to see pictures!
Wendy
Sous Chef

Re: SQOTD August 4, 2020

Post by Wendy »

I helped a friend work on an album for someone else. She was hired to work on some albums for a customer and then couldn't meet the deadline, so she recruited a few of us to help knock it out. The customer submitted stacks and stacks of pictures that she needed sorted out. This is what took up most of the time my friend was given. They were for many holidays and occasions. When we came in to help, we were each given a stack to scrap. (We had free access to use anything in the store). After about 30 minutes running around the store to gather papers and supplies, my friend gave us each a bag of more stuff. The customer had also wanted cards, decorations, ribbons, bows...any and everything she saved from these events. At this point, we had 3 days to do this. Needless to say, it did not happen. The customer was given what we were able to complete and was NOT happy. She wanted full on embellished pages, not just matted photos and patterned paper, did not like the color choices....it went on and on.

I have been asked a few times, but when I broke it down to them, they thought I was being ridiculous. If I charged more than $1-$2 and page, they thought I was being greedy. "It's just paper and stickers"...until they want the 3D stickers, flowers, brads, buttons...and any other embellishment out there.

Bottom line - I tried it before, and will not do it again.
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

I would not do it for pay. They would not pay me enough, and I’d rather work on my own pictures. I did an album for a friend, and it took me over a year. I did a lot of her pages following CUC challenges. She brought me the pictures, a paper pad, embellishments, and tape runner. This was back when I had a scrap room at school. She loved her album. I’ll try to link some of the pictures from the gallery.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

I have but like Lolis did not charge for them. They were done out of friendship. I don't have pictures to share because they are not my pictures to share. There is no way someone can pay what it costs in time and materials. There are companies that do scrapbook page kits and they sale the kits for $16 to $20 for a double page LO. So if I did an album that had 20 pages you could be charging up to $400 an album.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

I have for my MIL; some parts were a little hard as I did it for a Christmas gift and DH couldn't answer all the questions I had
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

A VERY long time ago! Haven't done anything like that in years so don't have pics... The thing I had the hardest time with was journaling for them. My suggestion would be to ask them to write something about the picture(s) or group of pictures or leave them space and give them a nice pen to do their own. Hope this helps!
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

I did 3 albums for a friends niece. The mother of the niece had died when she was a toddler so she never really knew her mom. It was a very sad situation. I was given a pile of photos with some names and dates on the back and really struggled to try and get them in date order. I wanted my friend to do some journaling but she didn't want to. I did pretty basic pages because I really wanted the photos to tell the story. I don't have any photos of the pages to share with you. I did the albums for free but my friend gave me 3 $40 gift certificates.
scrlvr78
Prep Cook

Post by scrlvr78 »

I've done four first-year books for friends' babies. I only charged for one of them (it was that friend's second child) but I only charged for supplies I bought (tho she gave me a little more). Only trouble I had was deciding what pictures to use....they would post so many that I wanted to do them all. Doing those made me realize I'd rather scrap for other people.
--Danielle--
LisanTexas
Prep Cook

Post by LisanTexas »

I scrap for my sister, my sister in law and my good friend. I don't charge them I do it because with my son grown I really don't have a lot of pictures to scrap and I don't travel much as I still work full time. They love it and are always SO appreciative and complimentary. If I didn't scrap their pictures I wouldn't be able to scrap much. They don't care when they get the pages or which ones I do when, they just meet up with me a few times a year and I give the pages I completed. My friend always gives me scrappy gift cards, takes me to lunch and when we go to the Expo she pays for my classes etc as a thank you but I don't expect it as I am doing it because I know she appreciates it. I have heard horror stories of people doing it for pay and the people being overly critical. I used to do commissioned cards for people and they had the ODDEST requests and would sometimes not buy the finished card as they didn't like it!! One lady wanted an 80th birthday card so I started to make it and she called and talked to me for 30 minutes asking for all kinds of stuff on the card (a peacock, it had to be purple and have a few other things that did not at all go together) I explained to her that I didn't have a peacock sticker or stamp and she wanted me to buy one! So I just told her that I couldn't do it. I am in this for fun not to spend hours hunting a weird sticker to use and paying shipping etc and then they pay $3-4 for the card! I have done a bunch of cards that I sell for $3-4 but they were relatively simple cards that took me 30 minutes to make and I had the stuff on hand. I usually have a sale at my house twice a year where I sale my cards and donate all the money raised to my church. I have great success with that but stopped doing special requests as those people are the MOST picky and I won't let this become work!
sthom97093
Challenge Team

Post by sthom97093 »

I have made an album for my brother. He didn't know I was doing it, so I didn't worry about color, picture choices, etc. I did what I wanted and said, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" I've also done a few pages for my Mom of her parents. I try to use colors I know she has in her house so she can display them. (Which she has done).

Return to “Scrapbook Question of the Day”