2-17-23 Pat Challenge

Join us as we take a Journey to Wonderland along with Alice and the many wonderous creatures she encounters after falling through the rabbit hole.
Patti
Site Admin

2-17-23 Pat Challenge

Post by Patti »

February 2023 - Alice in Wonderland
Join us all month long in February as we post challenges based on Lewis Carrolls' Alice in Wonderland and all of the many adaptations that have come after . . .

Take a journey with us to Wonderland along with Alice, and the many wonderous creatures she encounters after she falls through the rabbit hole.

A new Blue Plate Special challenge is posted each Monday (sketch), Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Participants have until the 3rd of the following month to complete and post their creations in the Cookin' up Creations Gallery.

Prize will be a $20 Gift Certificate to their favorite online store (random drawing).....

Pat is a fictional character in Lewis Carroll’s 1865 book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. He appears in the chapter "The Rabbit Sends in a Little Bill." He works for the White Rabbit like his friend Bill the Lizard. Carroll never gives any description of the character other than being a gardener, and his species has been widely debated, with evidence showing he is likely to be a monkey or a guinea pig.[1]

When the White Rabbit mistakes Alice for his maid, Mary Ann, she drinks from a bottle that makes her grow. The Rabbit thinks she is a monster, so he asks Pat to climb down the chimney to get the monster out of his house. Pat refuses, so the Rabbit decides to send Bill the Lizard to climb down instead. When Bill climbs down the chimney, Alice kicks him, causing him to fly out of the chimney and back into the Rabbit’s garden.

Pat’s appearance has been of much debate as Carroll never gives any description of the character, so it is unknown whether he is supposed to be an animal, human, or bird. However, there are several theories as to what species he is.

Pat is strongly hinted to be Irish, judging by the way he speaks. He says several phrases that could be considered Irish, such as, "Sure then I'm here! Digging for apples, yer honour", "Sure, it's an arm, yer honour!' (He pronounces it arrum.)". Carroll continues to hint at his Irish roots by claiming he is "digging for apples". In Victorian times Irish apples was a slang word for potatoes. Pat is also commonly an Irish name, short for Patrick.

Because Pat may be an Irish gardener your challenge today is to use green and something related to a garden.

Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Re: 2-17-23 Pat Challenge

Post by Tracy F »

Such a sweet page! Fun challenge!
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

This is awesome! cute page!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ural
Station Chef

Post by Ural »

ImageImageImageImage
Beth
Sous Chef

Post by Beth »

I planted Zinnias for the first time last summer. They were beautiful and the butterflies loved them. I will be planting them again this coming spring.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

Patti. Love your challenge about Pat. How fitting a character ;) I love your page and challenge
Ural and Beth. Your pages are wonderful. Love the flowers
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Patti, great challenge and a beautiful example!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Beth wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:26 pm Image

I planted Zinnias for the first time last summer. They were beautiful and the butterflies loved them. I will be planting them again this coming spring.
Beth, beautiful layout! I love the intricate butterflies! Did you cut them? Is it a Stampin Up product?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Post by Deanna13 »

Here's mine using green and flowers and a butterfly for the garden. :)

Photo of our view from the resort, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. (May 2021) :)
Our View
ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

Deanna. Cute page
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “February 2023 - Alice in Wonderland”