APPLE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

What's for dinner? Share your favorite recipes with us here!
BarbP
Sous Chef

Post by BarbP »

iNGREDIENTS:

4 tablespoons butter
3 large apples, peeled and sliced thinly (I use a combination of granny smith with gala, cortland or empire)
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
8 slices Italian bread, 1 inch thick (I buy an unsliced Italian or French loaf and cut it into 1 inch thick slices as needed to cover apples
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Melt the butter in a large skillet and add apples. Cook and stir on medium-low to medium for 5 minutes, Add brown sugar, water and cinnamon. Continue to cook and sti 10 minutes.

Spoon into 13 x 9 baking dish (I use a glass pan and wipe on a very thin layer of cooking oil or spray) Cover apples with bread slices, making sure to coverthe entire surface. Trim bread to fit as needed.

Beat eggs until foamy, then beat in milk and vanilla.Pour over the bread slices. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, remove the dish from the refrigerator and let it stand while oven is preheated to 375 degrees, Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until is golden and firm.

To serve on a platter, run a knife around the edges of the casserole, place platter on top of casserole and carefully flip.

To serve individually, use a spatula to remove serving, place serving plate on top of servingand careflly flip so apple side is up. Serve warm with butter and pancake syrup.

NOTE: I sometimes make this in the morning and refrigerate about 8 hours, then bake and serve for supper with sausage or bacon.

Return to “TV Dinners & Side Dishes”